What is a Team? How do I create one?An AIDS WALK team consists of ten or more walkers who raise pledges individually and as a group in support of their WALK DAY participation. Whether formed from a company's employees, an organization's members, families, friends or any combination thereof, our teams are the champions who drive AIDS WALK's success!
Team Members register as part of a team and then collect pledges from friends and family. This year, each member can create his/her own online individual fundraising page complete with a personal statement, pictures, and daily updates on pledge totals. To create your page, just go to First Giving.
Be a Team CaptainYou can build a team from friends, family and/or co-workers, choose a name and communicate regularly with their members and the AIDS WALK staff. We’re here to help Team Captains with fun and effective ways to recruit and inspire their Walkers!
Form Your Team - in four easy steps.1. Select a Team Captain or become one yourself!
2. Register your team at FirstGiving and begin to recruit your Walkers. Create a sign-up sheet to track your team members. Please be sure to include each Walker's name, email, address and phone number.
3. Online: Encourage your Walkers to go to FirstGiving to register for your team and create their personal fundraising page. This new feature allows for immediate registration and continual updates of additional walkers and individual and team pledge totals. Offline: Distribute pledge sheets to your Walkers when they sign up. If you run out, simply email or call us at 816-931-0959.
4. Plan for WALK Day on Saturday, April 27th. Determine a location where team members can meet before we walk. Some Captains gather their teams to pass out T-Shirts and other incentive prizes. Other teams even enjoy a light breakfast while waiting for WALK activities to begin. Make it fun for your team members to participate in AIDS WALK!
How to Recruit Team MembersLet it be known that you and/or your organization are forming an AIDS WALK Team and invite them to participate. Distribute information, pledge forms and registration cards throughout your company and among your family and friends. Let it be known that you and/or your organization is forming a WALK team and invite everyone to participate. Keep registration card on hand to distribute as needed. Here are some terrific ways to get the word out:
Companies & Organizations:1. Put a brief article in the company newsletter. Be sure to include the captain's name, email and phone number.
2. Put a notice on the bulletin board at work and/or at the Human Resources Department.
3. Insert an announcement or memo with employee paychecks.
4. Deliver a memo to everyone via interoffice mail or e-mail.
5. Have an AIDS WALK sign-up table in the cafeteria or lunchroom a few times between January and AIDS WALK Day on April 27th.
6. Display an AIDS WALK poster in a prominent place. Include your name, email and phone number as the contact for more information.
7. Looking for a topic for your next meeting? Hold an AIDS Awareness Forum. Call the Walk office to book a speaker for your group or monthly meeting.
8. Put notices and posters up any place where people walk by frequently - bathrooms, smoking rooms, parking garages, etc.
Individuals, Social Groups, Neighborhoods, Congregations, Schools, etc.1. Call, e-mail or post through Social Media sites and let everyone know you are forming a team and are looking for team members. Emphasize that it's a great way to have fun while supporting a great cause.
2. Write an article for your group's paper about your WALK Team and about the WALK.
3. Put up posters at places you frequent such as your school or place of worship. Ask if you can put in an announcement in the newspaper or bulletin.
4. Create a flyer or letter and send it around your neighborhood.
5. If you are in college, ask a fraternity and a sorority , or an honorary society, to join you in a group project.
- AIDS WALK Kick-off is here! 31-Jan-2013
- Help us kick off the 25th year! 05-Dec-2012
- AIDS WALK week is here! 23-Apr-2012
- AIDS WALK events everywhere! 04-Apr-2012
- Fundraising in full swing! 26-Mar-2012
Calendar of Events
- The 2013 AIDS Walk tee is a white, 100% cotton shirt with our 25th year logo infusion-printed on it. This is a special shirt for 2013, and there is a limited number available. Price includes shipping.
- Price: $20.00